Wednesday 7 October 2009

Joyous Machines

I am still rather into machines.
Today I went to Tate Liverpool to see 'Joyous Machines'. The exhibition saw Jean Tinguely's work and how it inspired Michael Landy's creations.
I much preferred the rough drawings Tinguely did in order to realise his vision as opposed to Landy's intricate drawings depicting the same mechanisms.
I really liked the drawing machines (bottom image) and the ones that did not hide their mechanics... far more interesting. Also, I like the fact that some of the machines don't work, or in the case of 'Homage to New York' (top image), destroyed themselves. This was all part of Tinguely's vision: that it is almost left to chance. In comparison to Arthur Ganson's beautiful work, Tinguely's is far less perfect, in both its aesthetic and workings. I still like it though - it was reminiscent of Alexander Calder's work at times.
Good day trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment